- 1 What instrument is Symphonie fantastique?
- 2 Which of the following was not a member of the Russian Five quizlet?
- 3 Which of the following composers is not associated with Romanticism?
- 4 Which musical idea appears for the first time in the first movement of Symphonie fantastique?
- 5 Is Symphonie fantastique homophonic?
- 6 Is Symphonie fantastique a program music?
- 7 Where was the strongest impact of musical nationalism felt?
- 8 Which of the following are Russian composers quizlet?
- 9 Who were the Russian Five and what was their main purpose quizlet?
- 10 What are the 3 types of Romantic composers?
- 11 What was the greatest common feature of romanticism?
- 12 Is Debussy Romantic or modern?
- 13 What is the movement structure of Symphonie fantastique?
- 14 Which instruments are most heard in Symphonie fantastique?
- 15 Which composer had the greatest success in writing lieder?
What instrument is Symphonie fantastique?
Instrumentation: Two flutes, piccolo, two oboes plus off-stage oboe, English horn, two clarinets, piccolo clarinet, four bassoons, four horns, two trumpets, two cornets, three trombones, two tubas, timpani, percussion, two harps and strings.
Which of the following was not a member of the Russian Five quizlet?
Which of the following was not a member of the Russian five? a dismal failure. Robert Schumann and his wife Clara. All answers are correct.
Which of the following composers is not associated with Romanticism?
Which of the following composers is not associated with the romantic period? exoticism. exoticism. instrumental music associated with a story, poem, idea, or scene.
Which musical idea appears for the first time in the first movement of Symphonie fantastique?
In the first movement, subtitled Passions, this vague hero “sees for the first time a woman who unites all the charms of the ideal person his imagination was dreaming of, and falls desperately in love with her.” This passion is represented by the idée fixe, a musical idea (first heard at this moment in the first
Is Symphonie fantastique homophonic?
A homophonic chordal texture is presented in the Religiosamente ending (bar 511). Central to the melodic writing of Symphonie Fantastique is the idée fixe (a recurring theme which serves as a structural device). This theme is heard in all five movements of the work. It is then repeated, altered down a fourth in bar 80.
Is Symphonie fantastique a program music?
Hector Berlioz’s Symphonie fantastique is a celebrated example of program music. Musical programs may be implicit or even secret, but the Symphonie fantastique has an explicit program, which Berlioz wrote, printed, and had circulated to his audiences in 1830.
Where was the strongest impact of musical nationalism felt?
The strongest impact of musical nationalism was felt in Italy, France, Germany, and Austria.
- During the 19th century, Europeans felt strongly that their homelands merited loyalty and self-sacrifice.
- In the romantic era, it was felt that the “national spirit” of a people resided in the “folk”, the peasantry.
Which of the following are Russian composers quizlet?
The Five are: Mily Balakirev, César Cui, Alexander Borodin, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, and Modest Mussorgsky. A Russian composer who trained briefly in Italy and France.
Who were the Russian Five and what was their main purpose quizlet?
The Five, also called The Russian Five or The Mighty Five, Russian Moguchaya Kuchka (“The Mighty Little Heap”), group of five Russian composers—César Cui, Aleksandr Borodin, Mily Balakirev, Modest Mussorgsky, and Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov—who in the 1860s banded together in an attempt to create a truly national school of
What are the 3 types of Romantic composers?
Romantic composers can be divided into three groups: full, conservative, and regional.
What was the greatest common feature of romanticism?
Among the characteristic attitudes of Romanticism were the following: a deepened appreciation of the beauties of nature; a general exaltation of emotion over reason and of the senses over intellect; a turning in upon the self and a heightened examination of human personality and its moods and mental potentialities; a
Is Debussy Romantic or modern?
Debussy’s music is regarded as a link between romanticism and modernity. He was among the most influential composers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
What is the movement structure of Symphonie fantastique?
There are five movements, instead of the four movements that were conventional for symphonies at the time: Rêveries – Passions (Reveries– Passions) Un bal (A Ball) Scène aux champs (Scene in the Fields)
Which instruments are most heard in Symphonie fantastique?
The two shepherds who are playing to one another are represented by a cor anglais (sitting in the orchestra) and an oboe which is played offstage so that it sounds distant. Then the main gentle countryside theme is heard on solo flute and violins. The idée fixe returns in the middle of the movement.
Which composer had the greatest success in writing lieder?
Franz Schubert is best remembered for his songs—also called lieder—and his chamber music. He also created symphonies, masses, and piano works. His most notable works included Erlkönig, written in 1815 and based on a poem by Goethe; Ave Maria!, written in 1825; and the Symphony No.